bash, ~/.bashrc and PATH

Mihamina Rakotomandimby mihamina.rakotomandimby at rktmb.org
Sat Mar 22 17:14:42 CET 2014

On 03/22/2014 05:19 PM, Ulrich Goebel wrote:
> To find the reason, I let my application just in its first line do
> os.system("env | grep PATH"). That shows that in the first case the PATH
> is set as given in ~/.bashrc but is not in the second case.

"~/.bashrc" is supposed to be read when you start a "BASH" session.
If the system you run is setup in a strict manner, if you run "ZSH", or
"TCSH", they have their own RC script and wont read ".bashrc".

(Fortunately, there is a compatibility behaviour on nowadays systems)

In you case, when you launch by clicking from the GUI, you dont actually
launch BASH. So, no .bashrc is read. The "Launch in terminal" if for
output purpose.

Hope this help.