bash, ~/.bashrc and PATH

Ulrich Goebel ml at fam-goebel.de
Sat Mar 22 15:19:23 CET 2014

Hi,

I made a python-application, which starts shell-programs
(os.system("xelatex ..."). In the ~/.bashrc I set the PATH to my (local)
path for xelatex. As expected, all works fine as long as I start my
application from a "normal" terminal.

But if I try to start it from the panel, it fails. What I did is: I made
a starter an give the full path to my application, checking the "run in
terminal". So my application starts fine - but not the
os.system("xelatex ...").

To find the reason, I let my application just in its first line do
os.system("env | grep PATH"). That shows that in the first case the PATH
is set as given in ~/.bashrc but is not in the second case.

What to do?

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Goebel