Many GTK warnings

Matthew Barnes mbarnes at redhat.com
Sun Mar 2 18:18:03 CET 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 16:07 +0100, houghi wrote:
> I am running Debian Wheezy 7.4. I run XFCE 4.10
> When I run several programs, I get warning.
>
> e.g.
> houghi at penne : /usr/bin/gvim
> (gvim:20300): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised
> (gvim:20300): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised
> (gvim:20300): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised
> (gvim:20300): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
> (gvim:20300): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-bar-popup-delay after class was initialised
> (gvim:20300): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-label-select-on-focus after class was initialised
> (gvim:20300): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-button-images after class was initialised
> (gvim:20300): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-can-change-accels after class was initialised
> (gvim:20300): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-popup-delay after class was initialised
> (gvim:20300): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-popdown-delay after class was initialised

This was a policy change in GLib 2.38.

        "installing properties on a GObjectClass must now be done from
         class_init.  It is no longer valid to install them after
         class_init has returned." [1]

Older programs and perhaps some language bindings (I seem to recall
gtkmm, but I may be mistaken) may still be attempting this.

The GtkSettings warnings are presumably fixed in a newer GTK+ than
whatever you're using.  The GnomeProgram warnings come from libgnome,
which is an old deprecated library and will probably never be fixed.

Matthew Barnes

[1] https://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/tree/NEWS?id=2.38.0