Xfce is very slow

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 19:13:39 CET 2014

previously on this list Ralf Mardorf contributed:

> > Xubuntu runs on any computer with at least 512 MiB of RAM and 1 GHz
> > CPU, you know.
>
> Nonsense, Debian packages are compiled for older CPUs, than Ubuntu and
> when using Arch you have the choice to compile optimized for the used
> CPU, with less effort that is needed for Ubuntu and Debian.

I think the problem is likely that Ubuntu requires a PAE cpu these
days which even PII computers have except for the many Pentium-M Laptops
and the blame lies with Intel's miss judgement there rather than Ubuntu
as it allows NX protection to be utilised which is a security feature
that prevents memory from being writable and executable at the same
time.

Having said that you would think they could find the space on the
install cd for two kernels especially now the cd size means you need a
usb to install it anyway these days. Though as Unity is so graphics
heavy and obviously aimed at new machines and other flavours like
Xubuntu actually being only community supported I guess it would be
pointless.

And Ralf compiling your programs allows you to customise but
performance benefits are negligible and no reason to do so except maybe
a real time kernel for your audio which comes as a *buntu package
these days. And in any case you will be spending more than that saved
time fixing your Arch system after upgrades.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)