Xfce is very slow

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jan 30 16:59:18 CET 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 14:38 +0100, Stephane Ascoet wrote:
> > Xubuntu is very light, and is the best Xfce distro all around :
>
> "Very"? I couldn't install it on any of my own personnal computers...
> However, Debian runs on them...

Debian does compile 32 bit architecture for older CPUs than Ubuntu does.

>From my own experiences using *buntus, Debian and Arch, IMO Arch is the
best distro of those three. YMMV! However, Arch has got a FreeBSD like
port system in addition to the packages, IOW there is no easier way to
compile software and to optimize it to our needs. Arch does follow the
KISS principle and after a short testing the _stable_ releases from
upstream are packaged.

Btw. don't count the packages available for Ubuntu and Debian if you
want to know how much software is available, since both distros split
stuff from upstream to several packages, the same does e.g. Suse too.