OT and unwanted for this list, but IMO it's important: Xfce is very slow

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jan 30 17:30:31 CET 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 17:13 +0100, Maximilien Noal wrote:
> The majority of today's software, whatever the distro, won't be usable
> enough on a 15 years old x86 computer.

A lot of people use Linux without X, IOW without WMs, DEs, GUIs and
using Linux on that old computers doesn't cause an issue. Sure, you need
to take care about e.g. the math abilities of the CPU.

JFTR I had a PC with a Cyrix CPU, used the C64 and Atari ST, IOW I'm a
dino. My first Linux PC was a 800/900 Mhz 32-bit Athlon and as mentioned
before, I run KDE and did real-time audio productions using Linux-Rt
with this old machine.

Linux isn't Windows and even without knowledge, but with a little help
from Linux communities, we don't need to waste our planet with computer
trash, but still could use old hardware.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=agbogbloshie+images

Regards,
Ralf

PS: If you want to continue this discussion, we perhaps should go
off-list. I don't know ;).