New to Xfce - questions

killermoehre at gmx.net killermoehre at gmx.net
Sun Dec 28 20:43:43 CET 2014

Hello Robert,

answers are inline.

28. Dezember 2014 15:58 Uhr, "Robert Moskowitz" <rgm at htt-consult.com> schrieb:
> I am running Xfce on Fedora 21 - Xfce 4.10.1
>
> I came to Xfce as it was the desktop on the Fedora-arm 19 remix and
> liked what I saw. So with the move to F21, I made the transition from
> Gnome. I have a lot 'solved', but a lot still not working as I need it.
>
> I want automount of usb drives. I changed the setting values, but no
> change in mounting status. Drives still come up unmounted. Do I have
> to logout and login to get this change to take affect? Is there a
> reload feature (Gnome has one, but it does not always work).

Use gvfs for this.

> I want to access my Samsung Galaxy via USB. This worked, wierdly, on
> F20 and Gnome. It is not working with F21 and Xfce. Some digging in
> the Fedora archives shows that this is an MTP device and I need
> simple-mtpfs. I installed this and 'simple-mtpfs -l' shows the phone,
> but it is not being mounted. What else do I need?

You need gvfs-mtp.

> Thunar does not show how many files are in a directory. I am spoiled
> with both Nautilus and Nemo telling me how many files, rather than the
> size of the directory node. Is this available.

No. Sorry.

> A biggie is I do not like Xfce starting all my apps from my last login.
> It gets many wrong, and sometimes the reason for the reboot was things
> were not going right and I WANTED a clean start! I run 4 copies of
> Thunderbird, each from a script pointing to their mail directories;
> autostart gets this wrong. Multiple copies of Thunar all start up in
> one window. Although it tries to get all of my copies of Firebird into
> the proper workspaces, many end up in the wrong workspace. Etc. So I
> want to turn this off. The settings control for startup does not offer
> the option to NOT startup what you had last session.

In Session and Startup, uncheck the "Save session on logout". After this, log out, delete ~/.cache/sessions/*, and log in back.

> Leafpad is nice, but I am use to gedit that supported tabbed windows for
> many files opened in one copy of gedit for editing. I may have a dozen
> files open at any one time in just a couple of copies of gedit. Leafpad
> does not seem to support tabbed windows. Am I missing a setting? Is
> there a good option to Leafpad for editing text files?

Use geany. The geany-guys love Xfce ;-)

> I am running this on a Lenovo x120e and I have heating problems when
> both cpus are full out, so I want the sensors panel plugin. But when I
> select 'show' a setting, it does not. And when I open sensors again,
> whatever sensor I selected to 'show' is not selected.

Is sensord up and running?

> A bigger problem is that screensaver is NOT turning off my display
> backlight. The screen is blanked but still lit. I cannot find any
> setting in power management about this. Do others have this problem, or
> is this a Fedora 21 implementation issue? F21 with Gnome Live CD does
> turn off the backlight on screensaver.

This depends on which screensaver you use. Xfce supports OOTB gnome-screensaver, xscreensaver, xlock and slock.

> Generally I have figured out most things to get stuff how I want it.
> The above items will get me well along the way to be fully operational.
>
> thank you

You're welcome.

Regards
killermoehre