New to Xfce - questions

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Dec 28 17:06:37 CET 2014

On 12/28/2014 10:39 AM, Marshall Neill wrote:
> HI, I hope the following will help with some of your issue as I run
> Xfce 4.11 on Manjaro which shouldn't be all that different from XXfce
> 4.10 as I ran that on Debian Sid with virtually the same configuration.
>
> I do a blkid to find out what UUID is of the USB drive(s) are and then
> pur the information in /etc/fstab
> Works great for me as I have 2 USB drives, 1 NTFS and the other EXT4.
>
> I have my screen set to go off after 10min on Batt and 12 mins on AC.
> It is in the Power Manager > Display tab.

That is what I use, and it is not 'switching off' the display.  I have
filed a bug on this to Fedora.

> I was able to access my Samsung Galaxy S3 on first try.  No idea why
> not for you.

It seems there are a set of things you need to install, and these are
not in the basic install of Xfce on F21.

> I looked around for the option to display Item count in a directory
> but to no avail.  Maybe someone else has the answer.
> I recall someone else with the same issue of apps starting upon
> login.  Darned if I can remember the solution as it has never happened
> to me.
>
> The Editor that I use is Geany. Supports Tabs, remembers exactly where
> you left off and since I modify themes a lot and it show
> 'auto-complete' for many of the functions.  I had use Medit
> previously  and Sublime.  Medit was ok, but auto-complete and Sublime
> kicked out numerous errors to '.xsession-errors' file.

Geany looks very powerful.  I did start it once, but backed off. Now I
am trying to customize it to my needs...  Thanks.