Thunar 1.6.3

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Dec 21 11:57:41 CET 2014

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 10:40:20 +0100, Hartmut Haase wrote:
> I believe things are getting too complicated for me now.

Hi Hartmut,

On https://launchpad.net/ubuntu at the right side, the second box from
above provides a link to report a bug. File a bug report.

Provide the information what you are using:
Xubuntu 14.04, Xfce 4.10, Thunar 1.6.3

Provide this info and from where you got it too:
Dec 17 09:10:10 HHa kernel: [   68.496274] Thunar[3001]: segfault at 63
ip b6ce2022 sp bfd64110 error 4 in
libgobject-2.0.so.0.4002.0[b6cb1000+50000]

Also post your description, that:
"Thunar 1.6.3 crashes at least every second day", "It happens out of
the blue", "mostly after log in when the windows are to be started".

The maintainers should decide if you should report the bug upstream or
if it's an Ubuntu bug. Assumed the Ubntu maintainers need more
information, they should explain what steps to do, to e.g. provide gdb
information.

Likely you need to replace your version of Thunar, by this version:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/thunar-dbg

In addition you need to install this package:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/gdb

Then you likely need to launch

gdb thunar
(gdb) run

Use Thunar and when it segfaults continue with at least

(gdb) bt

and post the messages you get.

Perhaps at some point you need to add LC_ALL=C or LANG=C, so that the
output isn't in German, but in English. Perhaps instead of "bt"
something else is wanted. An strace is easier to do, but I suspect the
output of gdb is what is needed.

I'm just a user and IMO it's a pity that no Xfce developer chimes in.

Merry Christmas!
Ralf