Any geriatric settings?

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Tue Apr 8 02:51:53 CEST 2014

On 04/07/2014 05:16 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 17:06:23 -0700
> ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>>   On Wednesday, I go to a customer with failing vision
>> to demo Xfce-Live USB.  Problem, the guy can not see too well
>> and need HUGE print.  (His grand kids set him up with
>> something in Windows where the letters are big and he has
>> to scroll the screen back and forth.)
>>
>> You guys have any prospective to share on the subject?
>> Does Xfce have any geriatric settings?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

> Instead of thinking geriatrics, start thinking accessibility. What do
> you think those with not so good vision do? They do not look for
> settings for elderly. They search out things like magnifiers, large
> clear fonts such as deja vu sans, and browsers like Chromium, because
> it allows the zoom to work properly.
>
> I start with a minimum 14 pt font on all settings. I zoom Chromium and
> firefox at least 150%. I use most apps in a single desktop, maximized
> so I can read the lines easier. When you increase text size, you get
> fewer letters per page. Many of us have vision problems. That is not
> the realm of the elderly.

Hi Charlie,

I found the "Accessibility" in settings, but it didn't
have anything that would help.  I was hoping for a one stop
setting, but it looks like I will need to adjust things
individually.  May stick the monitor on 800x600 or 640x480.
And, up the fonts and look to deja vu sans.

Under "Appearance" I am finding the Xfce Fedora 20 defaults
to sans 10 pitch.

Thank you!
-T

p.s. I am studying to be either a cantankerous old
fart or a curmudgeon.   Haven't decided which yet.

I do have a lot of wonderful old folks for customers.
They all have eye problems of one sort or another.