Any geriatric settings?

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Tue Apr 8 02:16:05 CEST 2014

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 17:06:23 -0700
ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>  On Wednesday, I go to a customer with failing vision
>to demo Xfce-Live USB.  Problem, the guy can not see too well
>and need HUGE print.  (His grand kids set him up with
>something in Windows where the letters are big and he has
>to scroll the screen back and forth.)
>
>You guys have any prospective to share on the subject?
>Does Xfce have any geriatric settings?
>
>Many thanks,
>-T

Instead of thinking geriatrics, start thinking accessibility. What do
you think those with not so good vision do? They do not look for
settings for elderly. They search out things like magnifiers, large
clear fonts such as deja vu sans, and browsers like Chromium, because
it allows the zoom to work properly.

I start with a minimum 14 pt font on all settings. I zoom Chromium and
firefox at least 150%. I use most apps in a single desktop, maximized
so I can read the lines easier. When you increase text size, you get
fewer letters per page. Many of us have vision problems. That is not
the realm of the elderly.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914