The future of Xfce (or beating the Gtk3 horse to death)

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 21 22:20:02 CET 2013

> > I also see no issue with Xfce becoming similar to  Enlightenment. In
> > recent times Xfce has always been similar to Gnome, and this hasn't
> > stopped Xfce users being happy with Xfce.
>
> FWIW, the reason I switched to Xfce was because gnome/fvwm2 integration
> started degrading to be point of being no longer a productive environment.
> When I made the decision to look elsewhere, one of the criteria was:
> what's out there that's similar to fvwm? There are a few things I dearly
> miss from my 20 years of fvwm, but I am otherwise very happy to be
> rid of gnome.

Out of interest what do you sorely miss and what stopped it being
productive?

I very much like xfce once setup however I do find it rather tedious to
administrate and seperately raises questions when you consider locking
it down (both in comparison to fvwm). I am currently slowly considering
due to a lack of time, an fvwm with some of xfce as it is modularised.

A big thankyou xfce for the modularisation.

I'm hoping it means that the polkit dependency is avoidable with xfwm or
fvwm by simply avoiding the power manager and as I worry the
dependencies on polkit may increase I can continue to pick and choose
and keep solely using the venerable sudo, which as long as you know
what it can do and can write a sudoers file is undeniably far more
functional, secure, promotes the minimum and most correct of prviledge
use rather than closest fit by devs, encourages cross polination of
priviledged code and unix principles and so in real terms more eyes on
well used code and is easier for users to control ;-).

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)