[gtk-xfce-engine] Gtk+3 Themes

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Wed Jul 17 10:14:17 CEST 2013

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:49:42 +0530
Satyajit Sahoo <satyajit.happy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17-Jul-2013 12:14 PM, "Genghis Khan" <genghiskhan at gmx.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for the references.
> >
> > On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:03:53 +0530
> > Satyajit Sahoo <satyajit.happy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > GTK 3.4 is rather outdated. And I highly doubt that anyone will
> > > port themes to GTK 3.4.
> > >

> > Yes, indeed; For the most part, the GTK3 themes I referred to and
> > of the Shimmer Project http://shimmerproject.org do work well with
> > version 3.4.
> >
> > > GTK3 themes seem to break every release, even though the amount of
> > > breakage has been greatly reduced. So it's unlikely that anyone
> > > will want to port to an older GTK3 version.
> > >

> > Of course not. I have pointed out the version of GTK3 I use in the
> > hope to get a "shout out" from someone that has the current Xfce
> > themes for GTK3 working properly with latter version of GTK3.
> >
> > I want to check if there are any official news in this matter. If I
> > will get a negative or no respond, I will ask the Shimmer Project,
> > if they would be willing and gracious enough, to work on ports for
> > official Xfce themes, in coordination with the Xfce team, if needed.
> >

> I want to check if there are any official news in this matter. If I
> will get a negative or no respond, I will ask the Shimmer Project, if
> they would be willing and gracious enough, to work on ports for
> official Xfce themes, in coordination with the Xfce team, if needed.
>
> I'm from the Shimmer project team. I do most of the GTK3 porting. We
> currently have no plans for porting the default Xfce themes. But if
> the themes stop to break every release, we can port them I think.

I would be very delighted when this would occur.

> And yeah, since we started porting the themes during GTK3.4 times,
> Albatross and Greybird have proper GTK3.4 support.
>
> > > If you use Xubuntu, the default themes Greybird, Bluebird and
> > > Albatross already support GTK3. And in the upcoming Ubuntu
> > > version, they have 2 more GTK3 themes, namely Numix and Orion.
> > >

> > According to the names you wrote, I assume you referred to the
> > Shimmer Project; I like Numix the most, yet it has an
> > nontraditional look[1] a fixed gtk+ widget appearance which I think
> > is better appropriate to be determined by the user in theme
> > settings dialog, not in a theme itself.
> >

> I don't understand what you mean by fixed GTK+ widget appearance.
> Don't all the themes have a fixed appearance? Can you clarify?

These are bothering me.

gtk-button-images = 0 #Disables icons for buttons with text
gtk-toolbar-style = 0 #Disables text in toolbar
gtk-auto-mnemonics= 1 #Disables ugly lines under menu items

IMHO, such modification are to be made individually at .gtkrc-2.0.mine
and .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini.

> > [1] e.g. the trend of having the menubar widget in a different
> > color, usually dark) than the rest of the widget in order to fit to
> > a dark Xfwm4 theme
> >

> I don't think it hampers usability in any way. It's just a different
> design.

It indeed does not. I wish you would provide a traditional look where
the menubar is not intended to be in the same color of the window bar.

> > [2] absence of icons on buttons or menus, void arrows in scroll bars
> > and other things
> >

> Icons on buttons and menus can be added in the settings dialog. Can't
> they? About the scrollbars, Numix tries to look modern, and therefore
> follows modern approaches in theming.

Yes, but not all use theme managers. Concerning to modern look, it
would be good to provide "old school" variants.
* Is there a theme manager that is able to toggle scrollbar arrows?

> Anyways, Numix doesn't try to be old school. So you may not like the
> design approaches. About being lightweight, it doesn't make heavy use
> of effects and mostly uses flat colors.

This is why I prefer it the most.