[gtk-xfce-engine] Gtk+3 Themes

Satyajit Sahoo satyajit.happy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 09:19:42 CEST 2013

On 17-Jul-2013 12:14 PM, "Genghis Khan" <genghiskhan at gmx.ca> wrote:

> Thank you for the references.
>
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:03:53 +0530
> Satyajit Sahoo <satyajit.happy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > GTK 3.4 is rather outdated. And I highly doubt that anyone will port
> > themes to GTK 3.4.
> >

> Yes, indeed; For the most part, the GTK3 themes I referred to and of the
> Shimmer Project http://shimmerproject.org do work well with version 3.4.
>
> > GTK3 themes seem to break every release, even though the amount of
> > breakage has been greatly reduced. So it's unlikely that anyone will
> > want to port to an older GTK3 version.
> >

> Of course not. I have pointed out the version of GTK3 I use in the
> hope to get a "shout out" from someone that has the current Xfce themes
> for GTK3 working properly with latter version of GTK3.
>
> I want to check if there are any official news in this matter. If I
> will get a negative or no respond, I will ask the Shimmer Project, if
> they would be willing and gracious enough, to work on ports for
> official Xfce themes, in coordination with the Xfce team, if needed.

I want to check if there are any official news in this matter. If I
will get a negative or no respond, I will ask the Shimmer Project, if
they would be willing and gracious enough, to work on ports for
official Xfce themes, in coordination with the Xfce team, if needed.

I'm from the Shimmer project team. I do most of the GTK3 porting. We
currently have no plans for porting the default Xfce themes. But if the
themes stop to break every release, we can port them I think.

And yeah, since we started porting the themes during GTK3.4 times,
Albatross and Greybird have proper GTK3.4 support.

> > If you use Xubuntu, the default themes Greybird, Bluebird and
> > Albatross already support GTK3. And in the upcoming Ubuntu version,
> > they have 2 more GTK3 themes, namely Numix and Orion.
> >

> According to the names you wrote, I assume you referred to the Shimmer
> Project; I like Numix the most, yet it has an nontraditional look[1] a
> fixed gtk+ widget appearance which I think is better appropriate to be
> determined by the user in theme settings dialog, not in a theme itself.

I don't understand what you mean by fixed GTK+ widget appearance. Don't all
the themes have a fixed appearance? Can you clarify?

> [1] e.g. the trend of having the menubar widget in a different color,
> usually dark) than the rest of the widget in order to fit to a dark
> Xfwm4 theme

I don't think it hampers usability in any way. It's just a different design.

> [2] absence of icons on buttons or menus, void arrows in scroll bars
> and other things

Icons on buttons and menus can be added in the settings dialog. Can't they?
About the scrollbars, Numix tries to look modern, and therefore follows
modern approaches in theming.

Anyways, Numix doesn't try to be old school. So you may not like the design
approaches. About being lightweight, it doesn't make heavy use of effects
and mostly uses flat colors.

> [Side Note] I use Numix with this color scheme: gtk_color_scheme =

"base_color:#f9f9f9\nbg_color:#dedede\ntooltip_bg_color:#dedede\nselected_bg_color:#4B6983\ntext_color:#333333\nfg_color:#555555\ntooltip_fg_color:#555555\nselected_fg_color:#f9f9f9\nmenubar_bg_color:#dedede\nmenubar_fg_color:#555555\ntoolbar_bg_color:#dedede\ntoolbar_fg_color:#555555\nmenu_bg_color:#dedede\nmenu_fg_color:#555555\npanel_bg_color:#dedede\npanel_fg_color:#555555\nlink_color:#0000ee"