[gtk-xfce-engine] Gtk+3 Themes

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Wed Jul 17 08:43:51 CEST 2013

Thank you for the references.

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:03:53 +0530
Satyajit Sahoo <satyajit.happy at gmail.com> wrote:

> GTK 3.4 is rather outdated. And I highly doubt that anyone will port
> themes to GTK 3.4.

Yes, indeed; For the most part, the GTK3 themes I referred to and of the
Shimmer Project http://shimmerproject.org do work well with version 3.4.

> GTK3 themes seem to break every release, even though the amount of
> breakage has been greatly reduced. So it's unlikely that anyone will
> want to port to an older GTK3 version.

Of course not. I have pointed out the version of GTK3 I use in the
hope to get a "shout out" from someone that has the current Xfce themes
for GTK3 working properly with latter version of GTK3.

I want to check if there are any official news in this matter. If I
will get a negative or no respond, I will ask the Shimmer Project, if
they would be willing and gracious enough, to work on ports for
official Xfce themes, in coordination with the Xfce team, if needed.

> If you use Xubuntu, the default themes Greybird, Bluebird and
> Albatross already support GTK3. And in the upcoming Ubuntu version,
> they have 2 more GTK3 themes, namely Numix and Orion.

According to the names you wrote, I assume you referred to the Shimmer
Project; I like Numix the most, yet it has an nontraditional look[1] a
fixed gtk+ widget appearance which I think is better appropriate to be
determined by the user in theme settings dialog, not in a theme itself.

[1] e.g. the trend of having the menubar widget in a different color,
usually dark) than the rest of the widget in order to fit to a dark
Xfwm4 theme

[2] absence of icons on buttons or menus, void arrows in scroll bars
and other things

[Side Note] I use Numix with this color scheme: gtk_color_scheme =
"base_color:#f9f9f9\nbg_color:#dedede\ntooltip_bg_color:#dedede\nselected_bg_color:#4B6983\ntext_color:#333333\nfg_color:#555555\ntooltip_fg_color:#555555\nselected_fg_color:#f9f9f9\nmenubar_bg_color:#dedede\nmenubar_fg_color:#555555\ntoolbar_bg_color:#dedede\ntoolbar_fg_color:#555555\nmenu_bg_color:#dedede\nmenu_fg_color:#555555\npanel_bg_color:#dedede\npanel_fg_color:#555555\nlink_color:#0000ee"

> And about lightweight, GTK3 is heavier than GTK2, and themes aren't
> that slow for you to notice a difference.

This is true to modern machines. To test performances of themes I use
a very weak and old machine with 1.6GHz (CPU), 250MB (RAM) and a weak
graphics card.

Xfce themes have no competition in being smooth, lightweight and
traditional.