Happy Christmas

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Fri Dec 27 10:26:47 CET 2013

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 09:46:04 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-12-26 at 20:01 +0100, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:

> > > Don't forget to send congratulations to Mark Shuttleworth/Ubuntu.
> > > Unity was the best thing that could have happened to xfce.
> > >

> > And Gnome 3 too. :D
>
> No old school Linux user ever used Unity, it was the transition from
> GNOME 2 to GNOME 3, but the whole GTK issue makes users also switch
> away from as many other GTK apps as possible and GTK based DEs, so
> likely many Xfce users will drop Xfce too. I already test Razor-Qt
> and how to make KDE 4 lightweight. Until now Xfce still is the best,
> but I guess LXDE-Qt will make many Xfce users switch to LXDE, when
> it's available and assumed it should be stable. Just using a WM seems
> to be a nice way to go too.

There is also Inqlude which might make KDE easier on hardware.

http://inqlude.org/
http://devdays.kdab.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/Qt_Addons_KDE_Frameworks.pdf

Yet, your prediction is too early as GTK+3 is not yet completed.

> What I want to point out is, that Xfce is that popular, because many
> of us where forced to switch to Xfce when issues with GNOME became
> serious. The where reasons that we didn't use Xfce before there were
> those issues. IOW many of us are using Xfce, not because we think
> it's a good DE, we use it, because we try to keep as much of or
> work-flow, that got lost by the GNOME/GTK problem.

I have migrated to Xfce in 2008, before GMONE3 was released; unlike
GNOME2, Xfce is a modular desktop environment project which makes it
far better than GNOME2 by not forcing users to use tools they do not
need, and most of Xfce tools are also lightweight which is good too.

Concerning to GNOME2 which is today known as MATE, it is planned to
make various parts of MATE modular, something that may bring about a
collaboration between, and, maybe, even merging of, MATE and Xfce.

--
Defending the constitution is expensive!
Help Lavabit.com by donating to the Lavabit Legal Defense Fund