Happy Christmas

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 27 10:57:25 CET 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-27 at 10:26 +0100, Genghis Khan wrote:
> I have migrated to Xfce in 2008, before GMONE3 was released; unlike
> GNOME2, Xfce is a modular desktop environment project which makes it
> far better than GNOME2 by not forcing users to use tools they do not
> need, and most of Xfce tools are also lightweight which is good too.

I agree, OTOH if you compiled and build packages yourself, or simply
build empty dummy packages, this was easy to solve for GNOME 2 too.

> Concerning to GNOME2 which is today known as MATE, it is planned to
> make various parts of MATE modular, something that may bring about a
> collaboration between, and, maybe, even merging of, MATE and Xfce.

This or something similar is what I seriously fear.

Mate is a PITA and absolutely not a successor of GNOME 2. I installed
Cinnamon and Mate parallel to Xfce for my Arch Linux install and I'm
using Xfce only. For my needs Cinnamon and Mate are completely unusable.

Btw. when I asked Mate folks why GVFS "is" (perhaps nowadays "was") a
hard dependency, I was called names.

To not pollute my Arch Linux with additional WMs/DEs I now test some
others on Debian/*buntu installs.

Thank you for the KDE links, but issues I experience with KDE aren't Qt
related, but I e.g. need to know what's the Green drive killer for KDE,
however this is OT for this list. For Xfce I simply didn't install
GVFS ;), so nothing will damage my Green drive.