Happy Christmas

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 27 09:46:04 CET 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-26 at 20:01 +0100, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:
> El 26/12/13 19:48, Robert Holtzman escribió:

> >> Merry X-FCE-mas to all of you!!! ;)
> >>
> >> 2014 will be the XFCE year with 4.12 and lot of users using it! ;)
> >
> > Don't forget to send congratulations to Mark Shuttleworth/Ubuntu. Unity
> > was the best thing that could have happened to xfce.
> >

> And Gnome 3 too. :D

No old school Linux user ever used Unity, it was the transition from
GNOME 2 to GNOME 3, but the whole GTK issue makes users also switch away
from as many other GTK apps as possible and GTK based DEs, so likely
many Xfce users will drop Xfce too. I already test Razor-Qt and how to
make KDE 4 lightweight. Until now Xfce still is the best, but I guess
LXDE-Qt will make many Xfce users switch to LXDE, when it's available
and assumed it should be stable. Just using a WM seems to be a nice way
to go too.

What I want to point out is, that Xfce is that popular, because many of
us where forced to switch to Xfce when issues with GNOME became serious.
The where reasons that we didn't use Xfce before there were those
issues. IOW many of us are using Xfce, not because we think it's a good
DE, we use it, because we try to keep as much of or work-flow, that got
lost by the GNOME/GTK problem.