Xfce 4.10 observations/questions

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Thu Sep 6 17:20:45 CEST 2012

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:15:01 -0400 (EDT)
Allin Cottrell <cottrell at wfu.edu> wrote:

> I'm a refugee from gnome, liking what I see in Xfce 4.10.
> Thanks, guys! After a few few days messing around I have the
> Xfce desktop looking and acting almost exactly as I wish. But
> I thought I'd record a few observations/questions before I
> forget them.
>
> 1) I like to have a vertical deskbar (not on auto-hide) at the
> left of the screen. I can do that OK, but there's a conflict
> over real estate between the deskbar and the left-most column
> of desktop icons. I fixed this by hacking on xfdesktop --
> cranking up the left margin for icon placement to 100 pixels.
> Is there any way of doing something like this without hacking
> on the source?

Xfce has long had an option to set the desktop margins anywhere
desired. It is Menu -> Settings -> Settings Manager -> Workspaces,
Margins. You can set any margins desired without hacking the files
directly.

> 2) Ideally, I would like my desktop icons to appear only on
> the first of my (four) virtual desktops. At one point I could
> arrange that, with an old version of gnome 2 and the sawfish
> wm. Any way to do it in Xfce?

> 3) I appreciate the ability to add menu actions in thunar.
> However, I think a "real delete" command should be a built-in
> option (as in old gnome 2), and the default "Delete" command
> should be named "Move to trash". It took me a while to realize
> that after I added a real delete action, by default it applied
> only to text files.

Hold right-shift and hit delete, to have a real delete of anything in
Xfce. This works on the desktop and using Thunar, the file manager.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

--
Charlie Kravetz