Xfce 4.10 observations/questions

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Thu Sep 6 16:15:01 CEST 2012

I'm a refugee from gnome, liking what I see in Xfce 4.10.
Thanks, guys! After a few few days messing around I have the
Xfce desktop looking and acting almost exactly as I wish. But
I thought I'd record a few observations/questions before I
forget them.

1) I like to have a vertical deskbar (not on auto-hide) at the
left of the screen. I can do that OK, but there's a conflict
over real estate between the deskbar and the left-most column
of desktop icons. I fixed this by hacking on xfdesktop --
cranking up the left margin for icon placement to 100 pixels.
Is there any way of doing something like this without hacking
on the source?

2) Ideally, I would like my desktop icons to appear only on
the first of my (four) virtual desktops. At one point I could
arrange that, with an old version of gnome 2 and the sawfish
wm. Any way to do it in Xfce?

3) I appreciate the ability to add menu actions in thunar.
However, I think a "real delete" command should be a built-in
option (as in old gnome 2), and the default "Delete" command
should be named "Move to trash". It took me a while to realize
that after I added a real delete action, by default it applied
only to text files.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics