strange behaviour of the mouse

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Sun Sep 2 19:43:20 CEST 2012

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 14:06:10 +0200
Tyler Durden <tylerdu at bounced.me> wrote:

> I have the same problem with one of my USB optical Logitech's. It's a
> mechanical problem, the mouse is emitting two clicks when you press only
> once. Dirty contacts, bad manufacturing or just age, I don't know.

That problem is particularly notorious with my (new) Microsoft optical
'Ready Mouse'. You can see it running 'xev' in a terminal and looking
at all events that are generated. 'two clicks' is mild.

I believe that the debouncing algorithm is not doing its work correctly.
(this is not intended as a pun on your e-mail address Tyler!)

Though I haven't tried it yet, I suspect soldering a small cap
across the contacts might help (100pF - 1nF). Not entirely logical for
a new product, is it?

John