ANNOUNCE: xfce4-mixer 4.10.0 released

Guido Berhoerster gber at opensuse.org
Mon Oct 15 21:03:40 CEST 2012

* Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> [2012-10-15 19:14]:
> Today I've found some time to test the new mixer. It looks great and
> more stylish, and I did not experience any bugs so far. Thanks for
> making the keybinding dependency optional.
>
> What I miss is the old behaviour that clicking on the panel icon
> brings up the main mixer application. Now it shows only a single
> slider for adjusting the volume which I don't need because I can use
> the scrollwheel to increase or decrease the volume, and the tooltip
> even tells me the %, which the slider does not. It's not as exact as
> the slider, but usually it's good enough.

IMO the lack of a popup with slider was the single most severe
usability issue with the old applet. Not only because of
intuitiveness as almost all volume control applets (gmixer, KDE,
the old gnome-panel applet as well as the new
gnome-volume-applet) behave that way but becasue it becomes
completely unusable on devices without a mousewheel or equivalen
functionality such as e.g. my netbook.

> But to bring up the mixer application, I have to right click on the
> icon to get the context menu, from where I can then select the "Show
> mixer" entry. This was much simpler in the old 4.8 version, and one
> can use the main mixer app to set the volume more exactly too.
> Please make that behaviour at least optional (i.e. let the user
> define what happens when clicking on the panel icon, so either show
> slider or open/close the mixer app).

I was rather thinking about using double clicks for opening the
mixer but distinguishing single from double clicks isn't
straightforward, when I have time I'll see if I can get that to
work.

> BTW: I've just found out middle clicking on the icon mutes/unmutes
> the volume. Cool, I've never tried that before!

Well, I can take credit for that, it did that in 4.8, too ;)
--
Guido Berhoerster