ANNOUNCE: xfce4-mixer 4.10.0 released

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Mon Oct 15 19:14:25 CEST 2012

Hi,

Am 10.10.2012 17:18, schrieb Guido Berhoerster:
> xfce4-mixer 4.10.0 is now available for download from
>
>    http://archive.xfce.org/src/apps/xfce4-mixer/4.10/xfce4-mixer-4.10.0.tar.bz2
>    http://archive.xfce.org/src/apps/xfce4-mixer/4.10/xfce4-mixer-4.10.0.tar.bz2.md5
>    http://archive.xfce.org/src/apps/xfce4-mixer/4.10/xfce4-mixer-4.10.0.tar.bz2.sha1
>
>    SHA1 checksum: 8d2fda90f293603496bd23426486315ccf8d06f9
>     MD5 checksum: e47d5b3e873fdee3fa80d309a5f53e9c
>

> What is xfce4-mixer?
> ====================
>
> The Mixer is a volume control application for the Xfce Desktop
> Environment. It provides both a volume control plugin for the Xfce panel
> and a standalone mixer application.
>

> It supports all audio systems supported by the GStreamer project.
>
> Website:
>    http://www.xfce.org/projects/xfce4-mixer
>

> Release notes for 4.10.0
> ========================
> This marks the first stable release of xfce4-mixer the is intended to be
> used with Xfce 4.10.
>
> Changes in this release:
> - Do not use G_VALUE_INIT which is only available in glib >= 2.30.
> - Translation updates: Dutch (Flemish), Japanese, Croatian, Portuguese,
>    Spanish (Castilian), German, Indonesian, Ukrainian, Polish, Chinese
>    (Taiwan)

Today I've found some time to test the new mixer. It looks great and
more stylish, and I did not experience any bugs so far. Thanks for
making the keybinding dependency optional.

What I miss is the old behaviour that clicking on the panel icon brings
up the main mixer application. Now it shows only a single slider for
adjusting the volume which I don't need because I can use the
scrollwheel to increase or decrease the volume, and the tooltip even
tells me the %, which the slider does not. It's not as exact as the
slider, but usually it's good enough.

But to bring up the mixer application, I have to right click on the icon
to get the context menu, from where I can then select the "Show mixer"
entry. This was much simpler in the old 4.8 version, and one can use the
main mixer app to set the volume more exactly too. Please make that
behaviour at least optional (i.e. let the user define what happens when
clicking on the panel icon, so either show slider or open/close the
mixer app).

BTW: I've just found out middle clicking on the icon mutes/unmutes the
volume. Cool, I've never tried that before!

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'