xfce4-display-settings

Boris Hollas boris.hollas at gmx.de
Tue Nov 20 13:02:40 CET 2012

On 16.11.2012 19:11, Lionel Le Folgoc wrote:
>> I see. But I don't understand the registry entries: Right now, my
>> >  laptop is undocked and not connected to a beamer, yet
>> >  Default/DVI-0/Active and Default/VGA-0/Active are True.
>> >
> They are the settings you set with xfce4-display-settings, they don't
> reflect the current hardware state (if a display isn't plugged, its
> settings won't be applied anyway).

How do I do the actual switching from one display to another?

> Ok, but this bug ("sometimes xfce4-display-settings fails") won't
> magically get fixed by itself.;-)
> Do not hesitate to report a bug on bugzilla.xfce.org about what you
> tried to do when it failed and what's your randr config and your graphic
> driver.

I'm not sure if this is a bug in Xfce. The other day, I forgot to switch
from DVI-0 to LVDS-0 before undocking, so the screen was blank when I
opened the laptop. Pressing fn+f7 had no effect since
xfce4-display-settings -m only shows up if more than one display is
connected. So I invoked a script (bound to a key) that calls xrandr,
which brought the display back. However, Xfce didn't know about the
newly set resolution: On the screenshot attached, the area outside the
wallpaper was not visible.