xfce4-display-settings

Lionel Le Folgoc lionel at lefolgoc.net
Fri Nov 16 19:11:52 CET 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 08:21:29PM +0100, Boris Hollas wrote:
> On 15.11.2012 19:29, Lionel Le Folgoc wrote:
> >You should use xfconf-query instead to set directly the xfconf
> >properties (e.g. "/Default/LVDS1/Resolution" to "1280x800"), and when
> >you're done, set "/Schemes/Apply" to "Default" to let xfsettingsd apply
> >your changes.
>
> I see. But I don't understand the registry entries: Right now, my
> laptop is undocked and not connected to a beamer, yet
> Default/DVI-0/Active and Default/VGA-0/Active are True.

They are the settings you set with xfce4-display-settings, they don't
reflect the current hardware state (if a display isn't plugged, its
settings won't be applied anyway).

> And what is the difference between Default and MinimalAutoConfig?

"Default" is applied at startup by xfsettingsd and set by
xfce4-display-settings.  "MinimalAutoConfig" is only set by the minimal
dialog (xfce4-display-settings -m). This was done to allow people to set
a temporary config with the minimal dialog (e.g. when a projector is
plugged) without affecting the default config.

> Also, there are boxes in the column "Locked", that can't be clicked.
> What does that mean? It would be useful if I could lock resolution
> settings for my displays.

I don't use the graphical Xfconf editor, but I guess this is related to
kiosk mode (you can lock channels and properties system-wide to prevent
users to change them). But that's only for Xfconf, if you change the
resolution with xrandr, it still works, and xfsettingsd won't revert it
automagically unless you reapply the scheme.

> I want to use both xrandr and xfce4-display-settings because
> sometimes xfce4-display-settings fails.

Ok, but this bug ("sometimes xfce4-display-settings fails") won't
magically get fixed by itself. ;-)
Do not hesitate to report a bug on bugzilla.xfce.org about what you
tried to do when it failed and what's your randr config and your graphic
driver.

--
Lionel