External sources

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Sun Nov 18 20:06:36 CET 2012

Until recently I used KDE as my DM. Now I am using Maya Xfce. I do know
Xfce reasonably as it is installed on a couple of laptops used by family
members.

My question - I am used to a program which looked after external
sources, that is a memory stick or an external HD using a USB port. It
was mainly making sure that it was safe to remove without losing any
changes.

There was an icon on the panel for this which would activate as soon as
an item was plugged in to a USB port. Clicking on this icon gave me info
about the newly inserted item, a list of programs which could be used
with it and, most importantly, a button to click when I had finished
with it.

This last would run a program to ensure that any changes had taken
effect and then I would see a message to tell me that it was now safe to
remove the item.

I can't find anything like that with Xfce. Can anyone point me in the
right direction please?

Thanks

Neil