Nepomuk and Akonadi

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 09:55:34 CET 2012

On 14/11/2012 22:56, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
>> if you really want a completely bloat free xfce then Archlinux +xfce is the
>> way to go ...
>> user has absolute control....
>
> That's totally misleading,

It isn't. Arch's "absolute control" comes from it's KISS principles.

> especially without hacks like dummy packages

What ?! I'm using Arch on several machines since 2 years and I never
used dummy packages. If I wish to rollback there is the Arch Rollback
Machine or the AUR.

> if you wish to block packages which aren't supported

What are you talking about ?!

> or avoid the rediculous dependency problem.

What are you talking about ?!

> On arch your actually at upstreams whim

No, you can do wathever you like, even use the Arch Build System to
provide your own packages. You're way less at upstream's whim than on
other distros, like Ubuntu.

> but it does give you an empty base to work on, if that's what you
> mean by control?!

Among other things (ABS, KISS, packages separation which makes
sense...), yes.