Slow scrolling in Terminal

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Tue Nov 13 04:33:29 CET 2012

On 12/11/12 06:01 PM, Tyler Durden wrote:

> Actually, I notice heavy slowdown only with binary driver. Nouveau
> worked fine even with the unpatched libcairo. But, I have other issues
> with nouveau atm, so have to wait until that is solved before trying
> it again.
>
> If scrolling is slow even with nouveau, then you actually stumbled on
> some other problem. Hopefully someone else can help you then.
>
> Yeah, linux video drivers are still a mess...
I've had zero luck with installing the nvidia, the installer won't even
run, it says '/tmp' is not executable, and nothing seems able to fix
that. I just installed everything that had 'nvidia' in the name, and so
far nothing is broken, and nouveau works as before. BTW, when I make a
terminal very small the speed gets better, so it's obviously something
to do with the acreage of screen being written.  Other terminal progs,
like gnome-terminal, are just as slow. But gedit, opera, firefox, etc.
all scroll very fast. Now, what would all terminal programs have in
common that is different from all other programs?