Dark themes

Mișu Moldovan dumol at xfce.org
Fri May 4 11:37:35 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Marton Balazs <balmar3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My favourite Albatross theme was showing the Weather applet in dark grey
> on a slightly darker panel even in 11.10, a bit difficult to read but I
> could live with that. Now after the upgrade this stayed, but also
> Upgrade Manager started to work with white fonts on a lightgrey
> background. This was really hard to read, so I changed my theme to
> Xfce-dusk.
>
> In Xfce-dusk came the next surprise: Firefox (didn't) put white fonts on
> white backgrounds for fill-in areas. A solution I found was creating a
> userContent.css file for Firefox.
>
> I wonder if you think instructions on font colors for e.g. Weather
> applet and Upgrade-Manager in Albatross, and for e.g. Firefox in
> Xfce-dusk can be put in the theme itself for future versions.

I feel your pain as I've been using my own dark theme for more than a
decade (since the immemorial times of GTK+ 1.x). But Ubuntu's Upgrade
Manager is not part of Xfce, can't say anything about it as I'm using
Gentoo. Firefox is pretty bad in regards to dark themes, Midori and
Chromium are better alternatives for a dark theme user and the Midori
browser also has native GTK+ tabs.

As for Xfce's weather plugin[1], the only problem in regards to dark
themes seems to be the fact that highest and lowest temperatures in
the "Weather Update" window use hard-coded colors. Been thinking about
reporting this in Xfce's Bugzilla too, but it's not such a big deal...
I don't see other issues with this plugin, but feel free to report
your problem in the appropriate section of Xfce's Bugzilla[2].

 1. http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin
 2. https://bugzilla.xfce.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Xfce4-weather-plugin

--
mișu