Dark themes

Marton Balazs balmar3 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 11:10:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

first let me thank you for your wonderful work with Xfce.

I'm writing about dark themes in Xfce 4.8 that came with upgrading to
Xubuntu 12.04. Just to let you know that anyone with this setup willing
to have a dark theme has to work quite a bit to get things right.

My favourite Albatross theme was showing the Weather applet in dark grey
on a slightly darker panel even in 11.10, a bit difficult to read but I
could live with that. Now after the upgrade this stayed, but also
Upgrade Manager started to work with white fonts on a lightgrey
background. This was really hard to read, so I changed my theme to
Xfce-dusk.

In Xfce-dusk came the next surprise: Firefox (didn't) put white fonts on
white backgrounds for fill-in areas. A solution I found was creating a
userContent.css file for Firefox.

I wonder if you think instructions on font colors for e.g. Weather
applet and Upgrade-Manager in Albatross, and for e.g. Firefox in
Xfce-dusk can be put in the theme itself for future versions.

Thanks,
Marton