Xfce Digest, Vol 100, Issue 28, misc.

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Thu Mar 22 17:34:45 CET 2012

Hmmm, trying to reply to this email, there were seven topics to start
with but only two topics showed up in the 'reply' box.  Is that
something controlled by the list, or some quirk of Thunderbird? Anyway,
I copied the whole text so I could reply to parts of it. And why are
some comments greyed out?
> Message: 4 Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 18:44:01 -0700 From: Joe Riel
> <joer at san.rr.com> To: Xfce general discussion list <xfce at xfce.org>
> Subject: Switching Desktops: applications move unexpectedly
> charset=US-ASCII I like to start applications in specific desktops: a
> mail reader in one, a browser in another, etc., and then switch to
> that desktop to use that application. Alas, if one application calls
> another, say I click a URL in an email to open the link in the
> browser, rather than taking me to the desktop where the application
> [browser] is located, the application is moved to the current desktop.
> Is there a way to change this behavior? I'd prefer that applications
> stay in their assigned desktop.
> -- Joe Riel
I did this and it seems to have solved the problem:

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/activate_action -s switch
> I think we should have a process in place for deciding best defaults
> for Xfce settings. Maybe a user feedback mechanism, online polls, or
> we could simply go over settings introduced 2-3 revisions ago and
> rethink their defaults. The current process (or lack of it) dictates
> that when there is a clash between the existing behavior and even the
> best feature the legacy always wins.
That's a very good idea. As the Gnome devs are now no doubt learning,
you can change things so fast that almost no one can keep up.  It takes
so long to get everything tweaked the way you like it and then in the
next release things are all changed :( Too bad there couldn't be some
install option to let you test all the new defaults or stick with the
old ones or even change back and forth until you've decided.