Defaults (Re: Switching Desktops: applications move unexpectedly)

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 22 09:22:45 CET 2012

On 03/22/2012 11:43 AM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> I use Xubuntu, which is the Xfce based flavour of Ubuntu. To make
> things stay in the right desktop, I go to Settings ->  Settings Manager
> - ->  Window Manager Tweaks, Focus tab,
> "When a window raises itself :
> Do nothing"

What Joe needs here is "Switch to window's workspace", which IMHO should
be the default choice.

I think we should have a process in place for deciding best defaults for
Xfce settings. Maybe a user feedback mechanism, online polls, or we
could simply go over settings introduced 2-3 revisions ago and rethink
their defaults. The current process (or lack of it) dictates that when
there is a clash between the existing behavior and even the best feature
the legacy always wins.

Andrzej