Can anyone diagnose this thunar-volman error please?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Mar 19 16:19:12 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:12:56AM -0700, Ahau @porteus.org wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:39 AM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 06:36:44AM +0000, Ahau @porteus.org wrote:
> >> When you plug in the drive, is it automounted, and just not shown in
> >> thunar, or is it not mounted at all?  Further, I assume by *any* user,
> >> that includes the root user?
> >>
> > No, it's not mounted at all.  I can't really include root as a user
> > because one can only sudo to root on xubuntu so one can't run a root X
> > session.  However running thunar as root and then plugging a USB drive
> > in doesn't automount the drive.
>
> Well, that is unfortunate.  I suppose now is not the time to get up on
> my soap box with regards to distros that hobble the administrator's
> abilities.

There's nothing to stop me enabling root, all I need to do is edit the
password file and I'm quite happy to do that, I used to do it on my
xubuntu installations but now I just do 'sudo -i' and get to basically
the same place.

> >> Unfortunately, I think you're getting outside my knowledge base -- all
> >> I can think of is some wild-ass guesses as to the problem.
> >>
> > That's where I'm at now!
>
> Been there a million times.  It's always something.  Keep plugging
> away and you'll get it eventually. (If I were in your shoes, I'd
> probably be pretty close to reinstalling).  Some things that might
> yield more information --

I'm currently trying *almost* that, I'm doing "apt-get install
--reinstall <package>" for every package on the system.

> Before inserting your flash drive, open a couple terminals.  In one,
> start 'udisks --monitor-detail' and in the other, start
> 'dbus-monitor'.  Then plug in your drive and watch what happens.
> Compare working systems against the one that doesn't work.  After the
> drive is in, run 'cat /var/log/messages | tail -25' to see if the
> kernel is even picking up the drive (looks like it is based on your
> gigilo output, but something useful might turn up).  Check your xorg
> and login manager logs as well, if you haven't already.

Those are some useful ideas, thanks.

> Are there differences in your ConsoleKit sessions, dbus, policykit,
> etc?  I don't know much about troubleshooting these (I learn how
> things work as I fix them; these haven't broken on me yet).
>
> Sorry for grasping at straws here.  Maybe there's someone else reading
> who's foo is stronger than mine?

Thanks for persevering this far!  :-)

--
Chris Green