Can anyone diagnose this thunar-volman error please?

Ahau @porteus.org ajax.criterion at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:12:56 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:39 AM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 06:36:44AM +0000, Ahau @porteus.org wrote:
>> When you plug in the drive, is it automounted, and just not shown in
>> thunar, or is it not mounted at all?  Further, I assume by *any* user,
>> that includes the root user?
>>
> No, it's not mounted at all.  I can't really include root as a user
> because one can only sudo to root on xubuntu so one can't run a root X
> session.  However running thunar as root and then plugging a USB drive
> in doesn't automount the drive.

Well, that is unfortunate.  I suppose now is not the time to get up on
my soap box with regards to distros that hobble the administrator's
abilities.

>> Unfortunately, I think you're getting outside my knowledge base -- all
>> I can think of is some wild-ass guesses as to the problem.
>>
> That's where I'm at now!

Been there a million times.  It's always something.  Keep plugging
away and you'll get it eventually. (If I were in your shoes, I'd
probably be pretty close to reinstalling).  Some things that might
yield more information --

Before inserting your flash drive, open a couple terminals.  In one,
start 'udisks --monitor-detail' and in the other, start
'dbus-monitor'.  Then plug in your drive and watch what happens.
Compare working systems against the one that doesn't work.  After the
drive is in, run 'cat /var/log/messages | tail -25' to see if the
kernel is even picking up the drive (looks like it is based on your
gigilo output, but something useful might turn up).  Check your xorg
and login manager logs as well, if you haven't already.

Are there differences in your ConsoleKit sessions, dbus, policykit,
etc?  I don't know much about troubleshooting these (I learn how
things work as I fix them; these haven't broken on me yet).

Sorry for grasping at straws here.  Maybe there's someone else reading
who's foo is stronger than mine?