Using OpenVPN from Xfce Desktop Environment

Worrier Poet Worrier.Poet at comcast.net
Mon Jun 25 20:57:54 CEST 2012

On 06/25/2012 09:01 AM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
>> I would be using the client for access to a couple of corporate VPNs
>> which use Cisco AnyConnect appliances, and also for connection to a
>> couple of social action network VPNs which use OpenVPN Server.
>

> I presume it's not your choice what VPN to use.
>
> http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Cisco-closes-holes-in-its-VPN-client-and-security-appliances-1623170.html

Ouch! No, I don't get to choose the VPN. These networks aren't
controlled by me. I'm just a process consultant that has to use whatever
they give me for connecting to the few systems that I do control.

Thank you for that link. I'll send it to the guys using AnyConnect to be
sure they're informed. They are the usual swamped IT / support guys. Way
too busy helping people with their recycle bins to spend time on mundane
things like network security.

> Openssh can work well as a VPN if set up right, which isn't hard and
> would avoid your net config switching issues. You could perhaps just
> have an xfce application menu picking up different keys.

I will look into that for future situations. This was something I wanted
to get up and running right away. The two factor login with AnyConnect
was handled just fine by the network-manager-openconnect package and the
associated stuff.

My worries were any adverse affect the gnome stuff might have on Xfce
and any adverse affect using the network-manager-gnome applet might have
on me. I didn't used to like it, but I guess it's working a lot better
now than when I used it before.

Thanks for helping.

Good fortune to you!
the worrier