How to set terminal title 'dynamically'? (i.e. what's the esc sequence?)

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Jun 24 12:45:24 CEST 2012

I want, sometimes, to set a terminal window title from a script so that
I can put a couple of reminders of how to do things there.

So, how do I do this?  The xfce4-terminal help tells me it *can* be done
as it talks about how to position the "Dynamically set title" but I
can't see anywhere that it tells me *how* to put text in the title bar.

.... ah, I think it's a bug!  See Debian Bug report logs - #659346.

Setting the title with --title (which I do) prevents the title setting
escape sequence from working.

Is this likely to get fixed some time?  And/or is there any sort of
workaround?

--
Chris Green