How to set terminal title 'dynamically'? (i.e. what's the esc sequence?)

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Jun 24 17:12:26 CEST 2012

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012, Chris Green wrote:

> I want, sometimes, to set a terminal window title from a script so that
> I can put a couple of reminders of how to do things there.
>
> So, how do I do this?  The xfce4-terminal help tells me it *can* be done
> as it talks about how to position the "Dynamically set title" but I
> can't see anywhere that it tells me *how* to put text in the title bar.

For completeness:
   printf "\033];Funny Title\007"

> .... ah, I think it's a bug!  See Debian Bug report logs - #659346.
>
> Setting the title with --title (which I do) prevents the title setting
> escape sequence from working.

Agreed, it does the same here.  It might be doing that on purpose
as a feature, not a bug.

There is also a Preferences/General setting for Dynamically-set title
which can be set to "Isn't displayed".  Using --title may set it that
way for that one Terminal instance.