Display brightness keys suddenly stopped working

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Feb 24 05:01:50 CET 2012

On 02/20/2012 09:38 AM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> HI,
>
> I just realized the display brightness function keys are no longer
> working, whereas xfce used to interpret those key-presses correctly
> some time ago.
> I would be happy about some hints where to start looking for potential problems.
>
> Thanks, Clemens

This happened recently on my distro (Arch Linux), and it turned out to
be a udev issue and so completely unrelated to XFCE.  (This could be
easily seen since the brightness key presses were never even showing up
using the xev utility.)  It eventually got resolved by an upgrade of
udev (to version 179, IIRC).

HTH,

DR