Tumblerd causes system crash (OOM)

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 00:58:18 CET 2012

Hi,

I already reported a problem with tumblerd some time ago (bug 8208),
where it would keep file-descriptors open which made it impossible to
unmount my external disk without killing it first.
Unfourtunatly nothing has happend.

However, recently I ran into much servere problems - when I change
directory to my media folder using Thunar, tumblerd immediatly starts
allocating huge amounts of memory and within a few seconds the OOM
killer does its job and kills half of my system (including X of
course).

There really seem to be some outstanding bugs for tumblerd/gstreamer,
is there any way to disable tumblerd/gstreamer interaction?
Is there anything I can do, to get these bugs fixed, as they hurt
user-experience quite a lot.

Thank you in advance, Clemens

Thunar-1.3.0-4.fc16.i686
gstreamer-0.10.35-1.fc16.i686