Tumblerd causes system crash (OOM)

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri Feb 17 01:44:21 CET 2012

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 00:58:18 +0100
Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I already reported a problem with tumblerd some time ago (bug 8208),
> where it would keep file-descriptors open which made it impossible to
> unmount my external disk without killing it first.
> Unfourtunatly nothing has happend.
>
> However, recently I ran into much servere problems - when I change
> directory to my media folder using Thunar, tumblerd immediatly starts
> allocating huge amounts of memory and within a few seconds the OOM
> killer does its job and kills half of my system (including X of
> course).
>
> There really seem to be some outstanding bugs for tumblerd/gstreamer,
> is there any way to disable tumblerd/gstreamer interaction?
> Is there anything I can do, to get these bugs fixed, as they hurt
> user-experience quite a lot.

What you can do is remove the gstreamer plugin
from /usr/share/lib/tumblerd (or /usr/local, depending on your setup).
I figure that we'll need to drop the GStreamer plugin and replace
it with something new. It's just too buggy and the code was written by
someone else who is not involved with Xfce or Tumbler development at
all.

  - Jannis