Terminal no longer fully maximized with Xfwm4

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 11 15:45:02 CET 2012

On 02/11/2012 08:10 PM, Mișu Moldovan wrote:
> There seems to be a new way for Xfwm4 to handle maximized Terminal
> windows that has been introduced with version 4.8.3.

Hmm, I don't get this behavior in Xfwm4 4.9.0git. Terminal windows
maximize to the full screen size, and padding to the terminal contents
is added if necessary. Was it changed back?

This is a long shot but I've observed a weird behavior of maximized
windows in xfwm4 (4.9.0git), which might be related to this problem.

When I start rdesktop it tries to open a window of size 1920x1080 on my
desktop (1920x1200). In a maximized mode it fits because there are no
any window decorations. In a normal mode, it doesn't fit because of
window frames, the window width is almost 1920px and rdesktop adds
scrollbars to its window.

The strange thing is that Xfwm4 starts rdesktop the window looks like a
large (almost screen size) unmaximized window (with window frames and
scrollbars) but somehow Xfwm4 treats it as a maximized window. The
maximize button on the window frame indicates that the window is already
maximized and clicking it does nothing. I have to manually shrink the
window size, which makes the window "normal" again and click the
maximize button. This maximizes the window, this time with window frames
and scrollbars disabled.

Is there some hardcoded logic, which tells Xfwm4 to treat windows, which
are almost screen size as maximized regardless of their actual state?

Andrzej