Thunar upgrade

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 17:59:52 CET 2012

On 03/12/12 16:02, Maximilien Noal wrote:
> Le 03/12/2012 16:36, Neil Winchurst a écrit :
>> I saw the announcement that Thunar has now reached version 1.6.0. So I
>> checked, as I am running Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, and my versions is 1.2.3
>> which seems quite old now.
>>
>> Two questions. This version works fine for me, so is there any point
>> in upgrading?
> Maybe because of the new features ? (like tabs)
>
> There is a PPA for Xfce 4.10 for Xubuntu 12.04 by the Xubuntu team.
> There is also an *experimental* PPA by the Xubuntu team containing Xfce
> 4.12, which should contain Thunar 1.6.
>
> On Ubuntu 12.04, you need to install both if you want the Xfce 4.12 PPA.
>
>> Secondly, since Thunar is the main file manager fo4 Xubuntu, why don't
>> I get upgrades in the normal way?
>>
> The software repositories for Precise (= *buntu 12.04) contain Xfce
> 4.8.3, and Thunar (with exo) is as old.
>> Just wondering,

Thanks for all the quick replies. As I said I was just wondering. I
deliberately chose the 12.04 LTS version to install even though version
12.10 was already out by the time I did it.

I don't want to go 'bleeding edge' with this thanks, it was just
curiosity. Thanks to the replies I now understand what is going on. I
suppose I could download the latest version of Thunar and install it
somewhere like /opt to keep it separate from the older version. Then I
could choose which one to run. However, since I am happy with my LTS
version I will stay put.

By the way, I do like Xfce very much, and I have installed it for both
daughter and wife on their laptops as well as my desktop. Late next year
perhaps I will see how Xubuntu is going and may move to the latest
version then. I always do a fresh install, never use upgrades.

Best regards

Neil