Thunar upgrade

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Dec 3 18:23:24 CET 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 16:59 +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> By the way, I do like Xfce very much, and I have installed it for both
> daughter and wife on their laptops as well as my desktop. Late next year
> perhaps I will see how Xubuntu is going and may move to the latest
> version then. I always do a fresh install, never use upgrades.

This goes against what Ubuntu and Debian and others are trying to make
happen SMOOTHLY. The upgrades routes are tested in significantly diverse
setups. You are depriving yourself to actually learning and
understanding what is going on.

This is not Windows. Try an upgrade. You might be surprised at your
ability to keep you installed set and you data and your desktop.

FYI, I have multiple machines that have been installed on "Woody" (for
one instance), then copied or transferred to newer machines...
upgraded... transferred to newer machines... updated...

Sure, since I am on sid, I've have issues over the years, but I can say,
I've not "INSTALLED" Debian from scratch for at least 5 years. Except on
brand new machines. Then from then on the new machines are "upgraded"
from then on.

This "Re-format and Re-install" thing really needs to stop for Linux
(and most *NIX), most (good) distributions have a sane and well worked
upgrade path and routine. Typically the worst you'll usually have to do
is to rename and re-create your user or user homdir, since 98% of the
problematic things you'll usually have problems with, are in your USER'S
HOMEDIR (and config) not in the "system" itself.

Remember, Linux and most other *NIX, use Privilege Separation and keep
your setting separate from everyone else on the same machine.
Remembering that most *NIX has been multi-user since the 70s and that
includes Ubuntu.

Cheers.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."
    -- Auguste Rodin