Thunar upgrade

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Dec 3 17:04:18 CET 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 15:36 +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I saw the announcement that Thunar has now reached version 1.6.0. So I
> checked, as I am running Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, and my versions is 1.2.3
> which seems quite old now.
>
> Two questions. This version works fine for me, so is there any point in
> upgrading?
>
> Secondly, since Thunar is the main file manager fo4 Xubuntu, why don't I
> get upgrades in the normal way?

Ok, a "release" of say Xubuntu v12.04 is based on a "frozen" set of API
(Application Protocol Interfaces) and ABI (Application Binary
Interfaces). When these are "supported" changes for third party and
internal releases are nearly forced to keep those "values" to be
compatible and a known target for "X" time frame.

This would be a kin to putting new "foam filled tires" on you car
designed for pneumatic tires... just because they came out. Sure it
might work... but not as intended and might even break the suspension
due to the hardness of the foam filled tires.

They basically have to stay at API/ABI version number for the
"supported" time frame of the releases' length. So you thunar version
1.2.3, will be something like v1.2.3-2.p1-5.7... and then an update to
v1.2.3-2.p3.esr-1 and then v1.2.3-3.1... etc keeping the API.ABI
interfaces the same but doing backports to fix bugs... or security
issues.

Once in a while things like "FireFox" force a complete version upgrade
since the older versions are not supported much in any way... which
kinda sucks.

> Just wondering,

No harm in that.

If you *WANT* the near newest everything all the time, you are going to
have to invest a lot more time into dealing with a "bleeding edge
capable" distribution and "version".

I use Debian "Sid" or "unstable" which is not unstable in the
traditional sense, but in the  churn of the package versions and how
they are packaged. This can and does create problems periodically. But
not something that is "insurmountable"... just takes time to engage in
reporting issues and working them out. Debian Sid IMO is an install once
and continuously upgrade release... and doesn't officially have
support... since you choose to run it and support it yourself.

If *THAT* isn't enough, you can also ADD experimental to the mix also.
It can make things worse or better depending on what and how you install
things.

greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."
    -- Auguste Rodin