ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.0 released

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Mon Aug 6 21:42:08 CEST 2012

Am 06.08.2012 21:14, schrieb Liviu Andronic:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:
[...]
>> xfce4-weather-plugin is an open-source application, how should I hide the
>> API key? It's not even possible for a distribution to do that. The only
>> solution to this would be for every Xfce user to obtain an API key and enter
>> that somewhere. I can't see why this would be illegal, but do you really
>> think that would be a good solution?
>>
> Well, that could be one solution. Suboptimal, awkward, cumbersome, and
> not in the open-source spirit, but a solution nonetheless. Many Xfce
> users would likely strongly object.

Including me.

> What about a different workaround. Could the API key be used on the
> server hosting xfce.org, without making the key public? This way a
> weather.xfce.org would relay the weather data to plugin users, who
> won't be required to obtain a key. I don't know if this is feasible,
> or even a good idea. Among other things, this may significantly
> increase traffic on Xfce servers.

Why would xfce.org be allowed to do what DDG is denied?

Finally, about being feasible: Please spend some time and read their
terms of usage, and you will understand that this is not feasible too.
If you need to make them increase their limits, they will very probably
want to make you pay for it. After all, they are a company and want to
make money, and have to pay for their infrastructure and data too.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'