ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.0 released

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 21:14:00 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:
> I think I've answered that already here
> http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/2012-July/031036.html, but for
> completeness' sake I'll do it again:

I see. Now I understand better.

> http://www.worldweatheronline.com/free-weather-feed.aspx?menu=usage:
> "Do not make your API Key public or let others use in their applications or
> websites. You may use it on different applications but not let others use
> your own API key."

This is a bummer, indeed.

> xfce4-weather-plugin is an open-source application, how should I hide the
> API key? It's not even possible for a distribution to do that. The only
> solution to this would be for every Xfce user to obtain an API key and enter
> that somewhere. I can't see why this would be illegal, but do you really
> think that would be a good solution?

Well, that could be one solution. Suboptimal, awkward, cumbersome, and
not in the open-source spirit, but a solution nonetheless. Many Xfce
users would likely strongly object.

What about a different workaround. Could the API key be used on the
server hosting xfce.org, without making the key public? This way a
weather.xfce.org would relay the weather data to plugin users, who
won't be required to obtain a key. I don't know if this is feasible,
or even a good idea. Among other things, this may significantly
increase traffic on Xfce servers.

Regards
Liviu