ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.0 released

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Mon Aug 6 22:22:19 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 09:14:00PM +0200, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> > http://www.worldweatheronline.com/free-weather-feed.aspx?menu=usage:
> > "Do not make your API Key public or let others use in their applications or
> > websites. You may use it on different applications but not let others use
> > your own API key."
> >
> This is a bummer, indeed.

I have an API key, so for me personally it would be a nice solution.
However I would say it is not in the spirit of 'open'.

> What about a different workaround. Could the API key be used on the
> server hosting xfce.org, without making the key public? This way a
> weather.xfce.org would relay the weather data to plugin users, who
> won't be required to obtain a key. I don't know if this is feasible,
> or even a good idea. Among other things, this may significantly
> increase traffic on Xfce servers.

XFCE is not and should not become a content provider. It would also mean
not giving just XFCE users access, but also KDE, GNOME, iPhone and Windows
users, unless you are willing to block all others access in some way.

What could be an option, but that would require a re-write and an extra
efford on maintanance, is to have other providers optional. e.g. met.no as
default and have others optional where you can enter your own API code.

I see this fail due to several reasons
1) There is no standard, so each source of dfata will need extra code to
implement
2) People will start asking to add their preferd source and when will you
say no? On what basis? Or would you keep adding them, mebaing several
hundred sources (assuming each country has at least one source)

Just as an aside, I just went to met.no and saw the following:
Advocating the use of open source data.
http://met.no/English/
Good on them for being interested in freedom.

houghi
                                                    -- Blair Houghton