Missing minimise and maximise buttons

Sat Apr 7 17:23:44 CEST 2012

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 11:08:21 -0400
brian <brian at meadows.pair.com> wrote:

> I've been using XFCE for some while with no problem, and when my wife
> decided she'd had enough with the Plasma desktop in the latest KDE, I
> persuaded her to let me switch her to XFCE. We're both running plain
> Debian (she's tracking wheezy, I'm tracking sid).
>
> The problem I have with her setup, which is NOT reproduced on mine, is
> that the minimise and maximise buttons are missing from all her
> applications - and it's not the case that the application is off the
> edge of the screen, even with applications which occupy significantly
> less than the full screen on startup, they're not there. Her list of
> applications is a little restricted - she runs mainly Icedove (a.k.a.
> Thunderbird), Chromium and Libre Office writer and spreadsheet.

Take a look in the menu, select Settings->Window Manager, the Style tab,
"Button Layout", there you can drag and drop which buttons should be
visible in the window. I guess your "hide" and "maximize" buttons are
dragged to the "hidden" group. (What you -and also me- call minimize, is
actually called "hide" in the setting)

> I'm at a total loss to understand why this happens. Once I switch her
> back to KDE, they reappear, the change is reversible. Does anyone have
> any ideas?

My guess is that you run a different window manager in KDE, which
obviously has different settings, and because of this different looks
and different buttons visible.

Hope I have been of some assistance.
/Andreas