Missing minimise and maximise buttons

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Sat Apr 7 17:20:19 CEST 2012

On 07/04/12 08:08 AM, brian wrote:
> I've been using XFCE for some while with no problem, and when my wife
> decided she'd had enough with the Plasma desktop in the latest KDE, I
> persuaded her to let me switch her to XFCE. We're both running plain
> Debian (she's tracking wheezy, I'm tracking sid).
>
> The problem I have with her setup, which is NOT reproduced on mine, is
> that the minimise and maximise buttons are missing from all her
> applications - and it's not the case that the application is off the
> edge of the screen, even with applications which occupy significantly
> less than the full screen on startup, they're not there. Her list of
> applications is a little restricted - she runs mainly Icedove (a.k.a.
> Thunderbird), Chromium and Libre Office writer and spreadsheet.
>
> I'm at a total loss to understand why this happens. Once I switch her
> back to KDE, they reappear, the change is reversible. Does anyone have
> any ideas?

Brian,

Is the cursor a big 'X'? Sounds like a bug that I get every now and
again when I shut down when gedit has some file open.  The cure is:

rm ~/.cache/sessions/xfce4*

Here, when I do that and then restart Xfce things are still not quite
right, my desktop icons look all funny. But on shutting down and
restarting one more time, all is well.  Works here every time -- if we
are talking about the same bug. It seems that when you have Xfce set to
remember open apps on restart, that if gedit has open files the 'Session
Manager' gets all flustered.