Network Manager or equivalent - where should I be able to find it?

Al Bogner xfce at ml093.pinguin.uni.cc
Mon Mar 21 12:58:40 CET 2011

Am Mo, 21 Mär 2011 10:38:18 CET schrieb Chris G:

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:26:06AM +0100, Al Bogner wrote:

> > > Well I've found a solution - uninstall Network Manager and install
> > > wicd instead, much better behaved, it doesn't mess about with
> > > my /etc/hosts *and* it appears in the notification area OK.
> >
> > Wicd doesn't support UMTS-connections or was there a change in the
> > last months?
> >
> What's a UMTS connection?  :-)
>
> .... quick Google, ah, Universal Mobile Telecommunications Service.
> Presumably that means 3G type connections or similar, I don't think I
> care about this for this particular case.

Yes, but AFAIK not exactly. In other words, I need it for a mobile
internet connection.

> > With my Xubuntu 10.10 network-manager-gnome
> > 0.8.1+git.20100809t190028.290dc70-0ubuntu3 works fine. Maybe you
> > try to _purge_  your version and try again.
> >
> > I noticed with the Opensuse 11.3-version, that the applet wasn't
> > visible in the panel, but it became visible, when clementine was
> > opened, which adds an icon to the panel. Maybe this is your problem.
> >
> I think the non-appearance of NM is something to do with what I have
> in /etc/network/interfaces:-
>
>     # This file describes the network interfaces available on your
> system # and how to activate them. For more information, see
> interfaces(5).
>
>     # The loopback network interface
>     auto lo
>     iface lo inet loopback
>
>     # The primary network interface
>     iface eth0 inet static
>     address 192.168.1.4
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> (This machine is 192.168.1.4 and its IP is fixed rather than being
> obtained by DHCP, hence the above)

I have a similar problem and things work somehow, but are not
understandable.

Did you install resolvconf? I think you should _not_

I noticed the following with my machines:

If there is only 1 kind of connection and it is already setup _before_
you login to XFCE it is _not_ shown in the panel.

When I configured something like you in /etc/network/interfaces then
dns didn't work. If I added a dns-server in /etc/resolv.conf (I know
the warning, that it is useless), and X was _not_ started everything
worked fine. If I added a dns-server in /etc/resolv.conf, when XFCE was
started, the entry was removed after the next restart. It was removed
too, when the packkage resolvconf was installed.

So, I got it work somehow, although I don't understand why.

Al